Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Countdown Begins! *Plus, a Little Contest

*WARNING: GIRLY STUFF ALERT. ALL MALE TYPES WHO DON'T LIKE GIRL GERMS/TALK/GYNECOLOGICAL STATEMENTS SHOULD STOP READING IMMEDIATELY!


Alrighty, here's the scoop. I am dilated to 2 and 50% effaced as of Thursday. I have not really, ever been "checked" two weeks before my due date (didn't like to get things "started" before their time before), so I don't know how long I've been dilated like that before I actually go into labor. I have been at a 2 at least one week before natural labor. I asked the doctor to check me this time because Butch has been working a little farther away from home and I want to make sure he could make it to the hospital on time! She checked me the week before and the baby was high and I had no labor signs (so I came pretty far in one week, considering I haven't noticed any increase in contractions or "other stuff" ifyouknowwhatImean).

I've always been on time (exactly on my due-date for Niklaus!) or a couple of days late. All of my due dates have been predicted by early ultrasound and this one is no different.

I thought I'd have a couple more weeks until I had that "I'm DONE" feeling, but tonight (today?) I woke up at 3 am and my hips hurt so bad from flopping back and forth in bed that I'm getting that feeling NOW, plus I'm losing my appetite. I think I'm just getting a little impatient, even though part of me would like to keep him in there as long as possible because, let's face it...they are a LOT easier to take care of on the INSIDE sometimes (especially in the winter with all of the bundling, illness that's going around, and worry about bad roads on the way to the doctor/visiting/store/etc.!).

My babyguru brother-in-law will see me tonight (last girl's night out before I explode...I mean, have the baby. I get a PEDICURE from my sis! YAY!) and give me HIS prediction.

*Would YOU care to make a guess?
Here are the stats from the previous pregnancies:

Katrina:8lbs born 2 days after due date naturally

Matthew:9lbs6oz (he was breach and I went for cesarean but he turned at the last minute so was born naturally with minimal induction. I was already dilated to 3 when I went to the hosp.) born a couple of days before due.

Analise:8lbs 13oz born 5 days after due (induced after starting labor the night before)

Niklaus:10lbs 6oz born ON due date naturally (story in the bro-in-law link)

Mariela: 8lbs 5oz induced one week before due. 12 hour labor from start to finish (I wasn't in labor at all, just afraid of having 11 lb baby! I'm not afraid this time so I'm going to try to go when the baby wants.)

Okeydokey, now you have the history (bear in mind that this one's a boy...look closely at the boy weights). Time to make some guesses!

Please leave your guesses on DATE/TIME/WEIGHT/LENGTH/LENGTH OF LABOR/CUTENESS FACTOR
or any other birthy, prediction thing you can think up. The closest guess without going "over" (oh please, don't let me go "over") gets a little prize plus bragging rights.

I need a distraction from all of this power nesting I'm doing. I'll post everyone's guesses here as updates come in! I might even post a picture of myself in all my fatness to help you in the guessing game. We'll see about that!

Oh, and please pray that my baby comes out safely and without trauma from being so huge! (Goodness knows, he's already got enough built-in trauma being born into this goofy family!)