Monday, April 06, 2009

Music To My Eyes

I've always found musical instruments to be somewhat mysterious and beautiful. I've never played any, so I think they have double mystery for me. I am trying to learn how to play the guitar, but it's like some kind of secret code that I can't figure out. It's like my brain only has a certain capacity for such information. I'd have to "empty out some files" to make room for the new info, or something.

I found that old, broken violin in the attic at the farmhouse. I thought it might make a nice spring decoration up above the front door. I'll take a picture of it when I'm finished with the display later today. I had it for almost a month before my dad came over and asked me if it had any labels on it to tell how old it was. I hadn't looked before then! I peeked inside and here's what I saw (plus some other close shots of it):


















About the only thing I can find on the internet about him is found here.

It's very interesting, but I doubt it has any real value. Since the date on the label is 1699 and Jacobus Stainer died in 1683, it is probably some sort of copy. It sure would be nice to know HOW old it REALLY is. I will keep it as a decoration and maybe bring it into a restorer to see what they recommend someday. I'd love to have an actual, working instrument for the kids or to figure out how to actually play it someday...but that will have to wait until after I can figure out how to play the dang guitar!