Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Shot of B16

I came across this paragraph in the book A New Song For The Lord: Faith in Christ and Liturgy Today by (then) Cardinal Ratzinger and it reminded me of our recent vaccination discussions on the blogs. It gave me a lot to think about. The whole book is giving me a lot to think about. I love the pope's books and writing style!

P. 29
"With the full force of its prowess, medical research is in the process of looking for vaccines against the disintegration of the body's power of immunity, and that is its duty. Nevertheless, it will only shift the area of destruction, not stop the victorious campaign of the anti-culture of death, if one does not realize at the same time that the bodily immune deficiency is an outcry of the misused creature, the human person. It is an image in which the real disease is represented: the helplessness of souls in a spiritual climate that declares null and void the real values of human life, God and the soul."

It was part of a larger topic generally discussing the moral decay of our times and a true understanding of the person of Jesus but it struck me anyway and I marked the page so I could post about it. So I did. The end.