Monday, January 22, 2007

Law of The Land

I was browsing around on The Smart Girl's blog when I found this old post that I must have missed. It's really cool how you find blog entries that pertain to your life so aptly, isn't it? When things happen in life that seem too strange for coincidence, I call them "God Moments". You all know what I mean. Maybe I should call what happened today a "blogincidence" or a "coinciblog"? Anyway, this morning I was filling out a form for the school district so I wouldn't be DUMDUMDUM DUMMMMMMMM put on the "non-compliant" list (what the heck would happen to me? would they take my children and forcibly put them in public school? would they take my birthday away?). It was the form that I have to put my (school age) children's names on and info on our school year and curriculum, testing, etc.. I hate that thing. I always feel like "big brother" has one up on me when I subject my family to those kinds of things. Our school district is very hands off, but still, it's just a matter of time before some new, I'm-gonna-change-the-way-we-do-things-around-here administrator says, "Heeeeey! If we force all of the homeschoolers to enroll in our schools, we'll get sooooo much more federal monies for our schools AND we'll be saving all those kids from the living hell of having to actually be raised by their unqualified parents! WHOOOOOO are the homeschoolers in our district, again...why, here is one..." and then it will be allll over and There goes school choice and happy, well rounded kids who have stayed innocent for just a teensy bit longer, show more respect for adults and people in general, love learning and finding out about the world around them, bonded with their siblings as they NEVER could being away from them all day long every day...you get where I'm going with this.

I was resenting the fact that I have to pay TWICE to educate my children while I was filling out that form this morning. I heard on the radio later today how Tim Pawlenty is practically SHOVING our couple billion dollar state budget surplus at friggin "education" instead of giving it back to the people who paid in and making more tax cuts (where have all the fiscally responsible conservatives gone?). UGH!!!!

Lady at the checkout counter: Ummm, you gave me a 20 instead of a 10.
Me: WHOOPS, it said on the tag that it shoud be 20, so can I have my ten back as change?
Lady: Ahhhh, no. Sorry. We've made it a rule in this store that we figure you'll be back and you might get a good deal on something at some future time that we won't make any money on. Because of this, we'll just be keeping the "extra" you paid. You should be glad that your money may be going to the "good cause" of getting the next customer a good deal. Maybe. Sometime in the future, that is. Possibly. I don't know for sure, but I DO know that if you don't just suck it up and be happy, we will just make you feel like a whiney, ungrateful, ignorant baby, oh, and have a nice day!

Don't laugh. It's coming. Mark my words.
Also, mark Smarty's words too. I read and re-read her post until I understood it well (law-type speak is so darn convoluted, talk about double negatives and inside-out thinking!) and I'd advise you to take the time to do the same. Fascinating!
P.S. Janene, you'll love reading it, check it out!