Wednesday, October 25, 2006

5 Little Known Things

I was tagged by my pal Amy Caroline to post 5 little known things about me so...

1. I was a cheerleader in high school for wrestling. I HATED CHEERLEADING and I think that cheerleading is stupid and a waste of time. The ONLY reason I signed up for the thing was because the position of stat taker and video cam operator was already taken and I wanted to ride the bus to the wrestling matches and go to the wrestling parties. I even got certified as a referee so I could keep score at freestyle tournaments and go to more wrestling events. It's a little known fact that if you are a teenage girl and you go to national tournaments for freestyle wrestling, there is a good chance that you will be the ONLY girl at the tournament in a huge civic center full of REALLY HUNKY GUYS and therefore have absolutely NO competition and ALL the attention of all the guys. Especially if your parents are too busy watching your brothers wrestle and don't pay any attention to you flirting like crazy in the bleachers. IT....WAS.....AWESOME!

2. One of my favorite things to do as a child-teenager was pick rocks in the fields for my uncles in the summer. We also LOVED to kick corn down in the fall and sell sweet corn in the summer. We had a lot of cousins so we didn't get the privilege very often, but once in a while we got to go on the tractor with Grandpa and I will never forget that honor! He smelled like sweet pipe tobacco and Mentholatum.

3. When I was sixteen, I was HUGE into heavy metal and I knew all the words to "Fade to Black" by Metallica. I also read every thing I could about Led Zeppelin but I was totally a poser because I went to a Poison concert and bought a t-shirt that I wore all the time until it wore out.

4. I wanted to be a nun and work for the poor in Guatemala. I had pretty much made that decision after I graduated...buuuuuut, I met Butch on June 15th the summer after I graduated and, well, my plans changed a bit. I did go to Guatemala once, though. It wasn't for anything as noble as helping the poor. I went to my friend's wedding there in an old monastery that had been converted into a lovely hotel, saw my first volcano, went swimming in the ocean for the first time, and sang a song in front of a lot of people I didn't know who didn't speak English. I also felt REALLY tall the whole time we were there and I'm only 5' 4". We brought Analise because she was only 10 months old and was still nursing and she was the hit of the whole city. Nearly everyone who saw her wanted to touch her or hold her and it made me so proud. The moms and dads would coo at her and the little kids would reach out to touch her and call her "linda". It was so sweet. I don't think she made a peep the entire time we were there.

5. I used to bite my toenails when I was sitting in front of the TV. I can still do that...but I don't.