Friday, November 04, 2005

serenity now, serenity now, serenity NOW!

A couple of days ago, Megan wrote the "Serenity Prayer" on her blog, and had a link to the history of it. Today on the radio, I heard a good version of it. How many times have you said something like, "I can't stand how (insert name of offending person here) is acting, how can I change (him or her)?".

A good answer:
God, grant me the serenity to ACCEPT the PEOPLE I
cannot change,
The courage to change the PEOPLE I can,
And the wisdom to know that they are ME!

I mean no disrespect to the original, but so often in society we think that we are the ones being offended when we really do have to look in the mirror and either change how we look at the other person, or change those sinful things about ourselves that we just don't take the time to deal with. This gave me a lot of thinking to do, so now I have to go clean my house and praise God for giving me kids that mess it up instead of swearing under my breath while I pick up dirty clothes and vacuum and scrub icky floors.